Psychology w/Mr. Duez
Unit 1, Part 2: Research Methods
Research: The Scientific Method, Design, Processing, & Ethical Issues.
1. Observation is the most important aspect of psychological research.
2. Operationalism means to define our variables in the manner in which we are going to measure them.
3. Correlation measures degree of relationship between variables & ranges from - 1 to + 1.
Correlation does NO T imply causation.
4. Experimental, correlational, & descriptive methods all have strengths & weaknesses in describing human behavior.
5. Descriptive statistics describe the data gathered in research, while inferential statistics allow us to draw
conclusions about how this data can be generalized to a larger population.
6. Following ethical principles is vitally important in any kind of psychological research.
RESEARCH METHODS: In psychology, we are interested in understanding human behavior & mental
processes. To do that, we need an organized set of methods that will allow us to ask questions & provide
coherent explanations about the "whys" of human & animal behavior. This chapter will help you
understand the role that research plays in psychology.